No More Frankenstein

So in my follow up with Dr. G today I forgot to ask about my mysterious ear wound, but he did take out my Frankenstein stitch. I also had an unexpected breakdown of crying. I think I was just overwhelmed and in pain and frustrated. About two hours before my apt I got very nauseous and threw up all of my medicine I had taken for the day. I was really taken off guard, and so I think when I got to see Dr. G I was just really exhausted. He was good and talked me down, and we decided I could up my dose of Oxy from 2 to 3tsp every 4 hours, and if needed take Tylenol 2 hours after taking the Oxy for pain. Dr. G was impressed with how clean I am keeping my mouth with my rinses, and with the cleanliness of my nasal passages. I attribute this part to the heavy coughing fits which produce dark mucus from my chest and inevitably gunk coming out of my nose. He is worried about my cough, so he put me on liquid Mucinex. He said I wouldn't hurt my bite to cough up the built up mucus, it will only physically hurt. It is important to get the gunk out though, so I don't get an infection. I have coughed up one big guy this afternoon, and since then I haven't had the urge to cough, even when doing my deep breathing exercises. I am taking the Mucinex anyway, just in case. If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow he'll send me to get chest x-rays. The Mucinex is the worst tasting of all the liquid medications, but chase it with some Gatorade and I'm good to go! The Mucinex is also a decongestant so I no longer have to take the sudafed.

He said it is going to take a while for the swelling in my upper lip/jaw/nose area to go down because of the amount of bone grafting that had to be done. He also attributed a lot of my pain to the grafting. I hope that tomorrow my overall swelling starts to go down.

Thank you everyone for your continuing thoughts and prayers! I couldn't do it without all of your support!

Staying positive & Still Smiling!

Comments

  1. Mary after all you have been through you are entitled to a few good cries. They cleanse the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thank you for sharing so openly all of your fears, frustration and emotions. I know it takes a lot for you to keep up the narrative, but I think everyone appreciates the efforts you go to to include us in your travail. Keep up the good work and whoever made the comment above is right - you are entitled - you are entitled to a few good cries and then some. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary--
    You are a brick! I'm reading every day, and comparing notes with Ms. Haensch. We are both so amazed at your good humor and incredible stamina. Keep it up. Can't wait to be smiling with you in person!
    --Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very interesting to hear that the amount of grafting is related to the amount of swelling. I hope you will feel better; being sick while going through this recovery cannot be fun at all! Keep hanging in there 'cause you're doing great!

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op