Day 17....Random Thoughts

So the swelling is still slowly going down. I can see that my smile is still more open on one side than the other today. I think it is because of the swelling. Maybe I should practice in the mirror. I'm not going to worry too much about it, I'm sure it'll come with time.

Today I tried a new smoothie, recipe compliments of my friend Bunny:

-Banana
-Peanut butter
-Apple Juice

It is high in protein which is great for healing. It tastes OK, not the best, but certainly not the worst!

I have a lot of pain in my chin. It is a burning, throbbing feeling. I think it is feeling coming back, but it hurts quite a bit. My bottom lip also hurts quite a bit. I have the two old scars on the inner part of my lip from when I had mucus ceals removed. One of the scar sites feels like it did when it was initially healing 6 years ago! The hook on the bottom is still a huge pain as well. I think this area is the biggest pain for me right now, around a 6. Other than that I have pain, I think, in the areas where the bone grafts are both on the top and bottom jaws. This pain is minimal, maybe a 4 at most.

My right ear is still causing me pain and is blocked. It did make a popping sound yesterday during my late evening nap. Since then it has felt a little better.

Looking at the picture above I can really see how I still like my old self, just better. I think it is amazing that even with all the movement they did I can still look so much like my old self. My face is still producing extra oils I think because my body is still trying to protect my face with the swelling and stretching. The annoyance with the oils is that I have a lot on my eye lids for some reason. The oils get into my eyes and it burns just like soap. It doesn't happen every day, but it is happening today.

Today while doing my exercises I had great ROM, more than I have. I am very excited to gain this movement back, not that I am using it now being banded shut all day...till the middle of January...

The cravings are pretty bad today. I would love pizza and nachos and a sub and a steak and some fresh vegetables...I really miss chewing. Last night I had dreams of chewing gum, which is very weird because I haven't chewed gum in over three years.

My TMJs are still achy. They are much better than before surgery. Dr. Gunson said they will get better as the muscles relax into their new positions, for now the muscle relaxers are helping a little - mostly they are really good at putting me to sleep :)

...Smiling On!

Comments

  1. You're doing great Mary! The swelling has really come down quite a bit!! Must be nice to be able to have food with "particles" in them now!

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan! I really haven't enjoyed any particles yet...they tend to get stuck in the braces and bands...so for now I'm blending everything really fine, and diluting it a lot...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op