10 Day's Post-Op/ Sam Comes Today!!

Today is very exciting because Sam is finally coming!! It's been a long two weeks and I have missed him a lot! Mom and I pick him up from the airport at 4:30. Mom flies out very early tomorrow morning.

Whoohooo it is 10 Day's Post-Op and I am amazed by how low my swelling is today! I thought that with the stress of yesterday I would have ballooned up even more, but I did the exact opposite! I think now the spots that are left most swollen are the grafting sites (which is a lot of area). I am beginning to feel like I look a little more "normal." I am still curious as to what I am going to look like at the end of all of this. My smile is still quite contrived. I just can't find a natural fit for it yet.

Check out that profile!! Seriously! I am impressed with Dr. G's work! Well done Doctor!! I feel like I am also getting some natural color back in my face! I think maybe the exercises Dr.G had me do yesterday in the office helped with the blood flow. I am still surprised I never really bruised. I had some yellowing in my cheeks and a little bruising around my eyes but nothing like I thought I would have...unless it is reallllly delayed and I have some color to look forward to :)


In this profile picture I know my lips were not at rest, but the rest of my face is. I can't help but be excited having come this far! I certainly could not have not it without all of the support from family, friends, jaw buddies, and of course my amazing team of doctors & assistants.

As far as feeling goes, I am still waiting to get feeling in my chin, and right upper cheek. I realized last night that I have most of my feeling on the front-inside of my cheeks/gums as I can feel my braces against my cheeks!! So cool!

Last night I finally found a way to prop my head that didn't end up with my chin/cheek on my shoulder....I basically pushed myself into the down pillows and formed the pillow so it would hold up my head! This worked really well. So much for that neck pillow I've been fighting with for the last 10 days! I have been using a bolster the width of two pillows under my knees when sleeping/laying in bed. This has been great for alleviating low back pain/pressure. I have also been using my heat pad on my back muscles, pretending I'm laying in a hot tub. Ha, I know maybe a little different, but at this point I'll do just about anything.

I'm still enjoying my Special-K drinks, Gatorade, and occasional beef or chicken broth. I am looking forward to later this week when I graduate to the next level in my diet! For eating I still always, always, ALWAYS have a towel over my chest and a washcloth in hand. I always spill something out my lips and onto the towel and my face. I don't find it frustrating at all, just something I have to remember.

My lips of course are still in need of Blistex 24/7, and it is an incredibly relieving and soothing feeling when it goes on!

I leave Santa Barbara on Tuesday with Sam after my final post-op with Dr. Gunson. From now till then I am going to try to enjoy being here more. Now that I am feeling better/less swollen I think I might actually like to go out into the public :) My pain still hovers around a 6-7 so I won't push myself, but I also want to enjoy being in this amazing place while I can. Going back home will be a cold wake up call for sure!

Finally....I have to say HAPPPPPY BIRTHDAY to my big brother George! I hope you have an amazing day and get to do something relaxing and fun!

10 Day's Post-Op and always smiling :)

Comments

  1. this is awsome mar!!!!!!!! i can see your chin, and your real, new jawline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good job! i doubt that you will bruise, if you haven't yet. i can't believe how far you've come in such a short time! i hope you enjoy your time in CA. get out to the beach and the sunshine while you still can!!!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    It certainly looks like you're out of the woods, with the swelling down and the pain level lower.
    You're remarkable, a real survivor!!!

    God Bless,
    Paulie and Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op