Impressions....

Yesterday I had impressions done at Dr. Chira's office for my appointment next week in NYC with Dr. Mac. What is usually a half hour appointment turned into a two hour adventure. I had to get both the top and bottom impressions done. It all started out well. I picked raspberry flavoring (they were out of strawberry), and wax went on the brackets they thought might tear the impression.

We started on the bottom. All was going well, I didn't gag, and my jaw wasn't too angry. But when the assistant took it out, it tore at the very last second meaning we had to take another impression. So we put more wax on the brackets, and tried again. This time the jaw was a bit more cranky, but it was tolerable. Again the assistant pulled out the impression, and AGAIN it tore. This time in a slightly different spot. Luckily third time was the charm thanks to even more wax.

Now it was for the top. I was just hoping we would only have to do the top once, as this half hour appointment had already turned into an hour. All started out well with the top, until it was time to remove the impression. It was stuck. My nightmare. This giant piece of metal with this plaster material attaching it to my teeth, and it was stuck. I was gagging. It was a sorry sight. After about 15 minutes they did get it out, but not before the suction from the plaster pulled not one, but two bands off of my teeth. This meant they had to take off my wire on the top, clean the bands, clean my teeth, and then re-cement the bands. All in all I was there for 2 hours. The plaster is much stronger than my jaw thus it is still pretty angry. Luckily, at the end of my appointment, Dr. Chira decided to fit in a quick splint adjustment, so I don't have to go back on Wednesday. I hope when I see Dr. Myers on Friday she can help calm my jaw down. The gingivetomy sites were doing really well before the impressions, but after being irritated for so long with the multiple impressions they started to bleed, and are now quite tender again.

Good news is the next time I will be at the ortho is to get my pre-op x-rays, pictures, and surgical hooks placed! I am really excited!! Surgery is now 22 days away....whoohoo!

Right now I am trying to stabilize my hips to calm down the bursa in hopes that it won't be an extra annoyance after surgery. My back and ribs are also flaring up but the heat pad works well to ease that spasm.

All in all I am currently happy with the progress being made in this last month before surgery, but I am also feeling the stresses of needed to get everything done before it happens. Crunch Time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op