New Splint, Positive Vibes, & Gory Detail!

Yay for my new splint! The muscles in my face are so much more relaxed! It's amazing what having a place for your joint to rest can do for a person :) I would post a picture with the new splint in, but alas I have let my sister borrow my camera for a class. Being that it is a bottom splint it isn't as visibly noticeable compared to the 'ol top splint. Although, I must say it is more difficult to talk. My face is so tired. Less pain, more exhausted feeling. I'll take it! Less pain, my gain! While at my appointment yesterday Dr.Chira was so positive about my next 6 weeks before surgery! We set up all of my splint adjustments and even my final appointment before I fly out to California for surgery! At that appointment I will get my koby wires put on. Those are the wires they attached the super rubber bands to so my mouth won't move after surgery. This was the first time Dr. Chira was really positive that this surgery is happening on time. In the past she has been hesitant that everything was going to happen in enough time. My teeth are quite stubborn, and unpredictable. It was really great to get the positive vibes from her!

This afternoon Mom and I did some shopping via my futon and the Internet to get some comfy clothes and a robe for post surgery. Thanks Mom and Dad!

I thought I'd post some links that have details of the actually surgery.

This one has pictures, very graphic! Step-by-step process of the bottom part of my surgery. FYI I didn't look at the pictures, just read the captions....

Scroll down in this link and look for Mandibular Sagittal Split Osteotomy and Le Fort I Osteotomy for the specific descriptions of the bottom and top parts of my surgery, respectivly. The one thing I hate about this site is that they call is cosmetic. I suppose it's because the surgery causes cosmetic differences, but I sure as anything wouldn't be getting this surgery unless it was medically necessary.

These are videos of my surgery from my surgeons website, if you go to the "home" page of the website you can see before and after pictures of people, and you can also look at a bio of my surgeon. FYI- I have not watched the videos...good luck!

I ordered fun t-shirts for after surgery when I am swollen and brused! They literally just came in the mail from UPS and are pretty awesome. When I get ahold of a camera I will post pictures!

Today I've been listening to the lyrics of my friend Craig Finn, "You gotta stay positive!"

Keep Smiling

Comments

  1. Hey Mary, do the doctors say if there is a chance for excess bone growth after the procedure? Where the bones are placed together and once they begin to lay down more bone? Is this a concern or something they will keep an eye on afterwards?
    Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carrie,There isn't a concern for excess bone growth...that I know of! My real bone will fill in where the bone grafts are over time. With the plates and screws, I can choose to leave them in or have them out depending on comfort and risk of infection. They do keep an eye on it, and will let me know if I need the metal taken out. With the tooth implant I have I know my bone knows to fill in the bone graft area and I havn't had a problem (knock on wood) of excess bone growth. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op