10 Years Post-Op

Disclaimer: If this is your first time viewing my blog, welcome! I started this blog prior to my double jaw surgery to give information, support, and a sort of therapy for myself. If you're on the road to surgery and recovery I encourage you to take a look at this post - just as no two humans are alike, and no two jaw surgeries will be the same.

Greetings from 10 years post jaw surgery! Prior to my jaw surgery I remember reading blog posts created by other jaw surgery warriors who were 10 years out from surgery and dreaming about when I would be so far along in my own journey. Would I have a giant party? Balloons, streamers, fireworks...with family and friends by my side we'd enjoy all the hard, crunchy, chewy food I had been denied for so many years...maybe we'd have a concert where the feedback from the amps wouldn't bother my plates and screws...

...and now, here I sit 10 years out from the day of my jaw surgery and honestly, it doesn't feel like I need a giant celebration. Having undergone such an intense life event has left me feeling just so grateful for the little (big) things- sitting on the couch snuggling our now 11 day old baby girl, thinking of our 5 year old (who's at school) as she navigates the newness of being a big sister, eating a "special" jawversary lunch of a Chipotle burrito bowl, and watching Netflix with my one and only, Sam. This is what I think about now, not the never-ending thoughts/worries of my jaw. No longer do I feel PTSD from the recovery period. Most days, I forget I even had jaw surgery. 

While I was pregnant, my Ulcerative Colitis and Ankylosing Spondylitis were in remission completely, so unlike last year where these two autoimmune diseases were a big part of who I was, this year, I don't have much to post about them- except to say, it has been a dream not having to worry about them and feel the pain they bring on in the last 9-10 months. I know over the course of the next few months, these diseases will start to come back and confident I will be mentally prepared to fight the battle with them having already fought them before. As Tina Fey has said, "Confidence is 10 percent hard work and 90 percent delusion, just thinking foolishly that you will be able to do what you want to do."

A big should out to my family and friends for their never-ending support. Not sure if I'll post again here, but glad to have been on this journey with all of you. Keep smiling. -Mary

Comments

  1. Hi Mary, I just wanted to say your blog has been a helpful encouragement. I too have condyle resorption of both TMJ joints and am in process of preparing for surgery (hopefully within this decade;) with Dr. G. Wishing you all the best and continued health and joint stability! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 40 Post-Op...Hook Pain

1 Year Post-Op!

166 Days Post-Op